We’ve put together some ideas to help you celebrate America while maintaining your waistline.
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large ripe avocado, cubed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce, such as Tabasco, or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place zucchini in a microwave-safe dish, cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on High until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain in a sieve, pressing lightly on the zucchini to extract any liquid.
- Transfer the zucchini to a large bowl; add avocado, cilantro, onion, garlic, lime juice, hot sauce and salt and coarsely mash until combined.
*Note: It can be made ahead up to 1 day-just cover and refrigerate
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
Makes 3 servings
- 1 head of Cauliflower
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Tbsp Buffalo Tabasco Sauce
These are a great veggie alternative to traditional wings! Preheat Oven to 450° Cut the cauliflower into bite sized pieces. Place in a plastic zip top bag, add salt and olive oil. Mix around until the pieces are coated. Place them on baking sheet and sprinkle nutritional yeast over them. Bake for 15 minutes or until browned. Out of the oven, place them into another zip top bag, add Buffalo Tabasco Sauce and shake around to coat the cauliflower. Serve immediately.
Touch Down Ranch
- 1/2 cup of Greek Yogurt
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Garlic Pepper
- Sea Salt to Taste
Mix together and serve with your Buffalo Cauliflower Bites. Also great with raw veggies!
Guacamole Deviled Eggs
- 6 large eggs, hard boiled
- 1 medium haas avocado (about 5 oz)
- 2-3 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp red onion, minced
- 1 tbsp minced jalapeno
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp diced tomato
- pinch chile powder (for garnish)
- Peel the cooled hard boiled eggs.
- Cut the eggs in half horizontally, and set the yolks aside.
- In a bowl, mash the avocado and 2 whole egg yolks; discard the rest.
- Mix in lime juice, red onion, jalapeño, cilantro, salt and pepper and adjust to taste. Gently fold in tomato.
- Scoop heaping spoonfuls of the guacamole into the 12 halved eggs.
- Sprinkle with a little chile powder for color and arrange on a platter.
Paleo 7 Layer Dip
Serves 10 – 12 along with other appetizers
- 2 cups guacamole – (buy pre-made or use your own recipe)
- 1.5 cups salsa – pre-made or Pico de Gallo
- 1 lb grilled chicken, diced
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced black olives
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 small onion, minced
- Handful fresh cilantro, minced
- In an 8X8 glass dish layer the ingredients in the listed order.
- For the plantain chips slice peel and slice on an angle into thin chips. Heat about 5-6 tablespoons of oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Fry the chips 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. You will need to fry them in batches making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
HEALTHY 4TH OF JULY YOGURT BITES
Skinny Ginger Mule Recipe
- 1 1/2 oz gin
- 6 oz diet ginger ale
- 1/4 fresh lime
- Fresh basil
- Pinch fresh shreded ginger
Calories: 98 for 8 oz Mule.
Directions: Add gin, freshly shredded ginger, basil and lime juice and muddle to draw out extracts and mix flavors. Add ice, top with ginger ale, stir, garnish with fresh lime and serve!
You’ll notice I also added some fresh ginger and switched out the mint for basil. Um, ya — and I also used gin over vodka. Lot’s of changes here, but I think you’ll find this an interesting new twist on a traditional classic. If your still a fan of the vodka-mint combo, no problem! You can still use these main base ingredients with the original accent flavors and still experiences a lighter version of you favorite cocktail.
This Skinny Ginger Mule should be the perfect compliment to a long week or afternoon weekend celebration. Do you have great plans this weekend? Add this recipe to your itinerary. No plans this weekend? Make the Skinny Ginger Mule a reason to celebrate! Cheers!