Happy New Year! As you get back into your regular routine after the holiday season, getting everyone out the door with a healthy breakfast may be difficult. This week’s recipes are the perfect solution! Both Egg Muffins and turnbuckles can be made ahead of time with leftover ingredients or start fresh. However you put them together you will have a delicious breakfast to fuel the family as you run out the door and kick off the day! Enjoy!
Challenge of the Week: Identify one aspect of your physical health that you would like to improve on and write it down. Next, write down your WHY about this desired change. Take a few moments to think about your WHY and then list 3-5 action items with a timeline to help you achieve this change. Finally, take action!! If you want to be successful, remind yourself of your WHY every day until you achieve a set goal or a change that will be ongoing. Ready, set, go!
–12 large eggs
-1/4 cup nonfat milk
-1 cup chopped fresh spinach
-3/4 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
-1/2 cup diced onions
-Sliced avocado, for serving
-Salsa, for serving
-Crumbled cotija or feta cheese, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, nonfat milk and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir in the spinach, tomatoes and onions.
3. Divide the mixture evenly between the 12 muffin pan cups and bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the egg is fully cooked. Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes in the pan then use a knife to loosen the muffins from the cups.
4. Top each muffin with sliced avocado, a dollop of salsa and a sprinkling of cheese then serve.
–1.25 pounds of ground turkey
-1/2 a medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed (or use leftover sweet potato)
-1 cup steamed and drained kale (or any green of your choice)
-1/4 cup egg whites
–3 Tbsp cinnamon
– stevia, optional
- Roast peeled and chopped butternut squash in oven at 350 degrees for about an hour (check on it and stir after 30 minutes).
- Mix ground turkey with steamed kale, butternut squash and cinnamon.
- Pour in egg whites and stir.
- Distribute into non-stick muffin tray.
- Bake turnbuckles in oven at 350 for about 20 minutes.
Sprinkle with stevia, drizzle coconut oil on top… AND SHOVEL IN YOUR MOUTH LIKE IT’S THANKSGIVING!
-Kay Simms, MS, HFI, CSCS