Slow, simple, shredded, and satisfying describes this week’s delicious recipes! With just a handful of ingredients tossed together in your crockpot, you can come home to flavorful chicken ready to shred and enjoy as a main course, tossed into a salad, or skillet meal and leftovers for fast meals in the coming days. Meal time does not need to be stressful, just flavorful! Enjoy!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken
3 lbs (about 5-6 count) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1½ cups BBQ Sauce
½ medium onion, grated (with juice)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar
- Stir together all sauce ingredients in a 5-6 qt slow cooker.
- Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and cook on high 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours. Chicken is done when cooked through and easy to shred.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred each breast using two forks. Place shredded chicken back in the crock pot and stir to coat with the yummy sauce.
CrockPot Café Rio Shredded Chicken
2 pounds chicken – boneless & skinless
1/2 cup zesty Italian dressing
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1 (1 oz) packet Ranch Dressing Mix (mix with 1/2 cup water)
- Place all your ingredients except for the chicken into your crockpot. Stir.
- Add your chicken
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours. I flipped the chicken half way through.
- Once your chicken is done, remove just the chicken and shred using 2 forks. Replace the shredded chicken back into the crockpot and mix well with the left over juice.
- Serve in salads, burritos, tacos, burrito bowls!
Challenge of the Week: Give your water a refreshing makeover by adding a few wedges of lime, lemon, orange or other fruit. My favorite method is to infuse sliced strawberries and orange in a pitcher of water over one or two days for incredible flavor! If you already put fruit in your water, try a new fruit this week!
Kay Simms, MS, HFI, CSCS